Sunday, October 23, 2011

Side Table Kitchenette





You probably just told yourself, "no way!"

Yes way.

My sister and I started with a nightstand we found on Craigslist. Thrift stores are way cheaper, but we just did not find the right size at our local store. I became familiar with power tools for the first time ever in this project. I promise you, you can do it! The hardest parts were using a jigsaw to cut out the hole for the sink, transforming the drawer into an oven, and adding the backing. 

The sink is made with a dog bowl. This made it shallow enough to not obstruct the inside of the oven, but wide enough to be proportional to the table. I traced the bowl size on the table and slowly used my jigsaw to cut the hole out. You could use a simple sealant to hold the bowl in permanently; however, I did not secure it. It held well in place, and it is now easier to clean.

For the oven, I took off the tracks, wheels, and front panel of the drawer. I drilled the existing piece in place around the trim of the drawer opening.  I also added a single 2x4 underneath the drawer to stabilize it and make the inside more sturdy. I used wood putty wherever there were gaps and sanded down all of the rough edges. I bought cabinet hinges (that snap back into place) and added them to the bottom of the panel that used the be the drawer front. This made the drawer open like an open, and I painted the inside of the oven black for a more realistic feel.

I used a piece of shelving wood for the backing of the kitchenette. I stabilized it with shelving supports and drilled underneath the lip of the table directly into the bottom. You must make it very secure if you plan on adding shelves. This was the only part that I had to have someone to help. I had my boyfriend hold it in place while I drilled to make sure the backing was even and secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment